Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Incoming Patients: Trauma # 3314, 3315, 3316, 3317, 3318

We are awakened with a pounding on the door. We know, more or less, what that means.

The report we receive is 4 incoming ANA (Afghan National Army) soldiers that were injured after a suicide bomber exploded a VBED (Vehicle Born Explosive Device) outside a ANA-US military outpost.

BBC description of incident.


We have approximately 20 minutes to prepare for the patients’ arrival. The 1980th FST quickly swings into action with everyone preparing their stations for the incoming patients. IV bags are spiked, drugs prepared, supplies prepositioned, and roles/responsibilities are assigned.

For me it’s simple, I’m the anesthesia guy. Today, my CRNA colleague is in the number 1 position, which means I’m the number 2 anesthetist. CRNA number 1 gets the most critical patient with CRNA number 2 taking care of the second most critical patient. I check my monitors, oxygen, drugs, airway supplies, and suction to ensure that I am ready to go. My team (Team 2/Bed 2) does a “huddle” to make sure we are all on the same page. There can be no confusion about what is going to happen when the patients arrive.




Prepositioning of stretchers. We were told to expect 4 patients, we received 5.



Waiting for MEDEVAC.



I filmed the arrival of MEDEVAC. The video stops at 3:06 because it dawned on me that I needed to go inside and take care of patients.








The suicide bomber, for whatever reason, detonated the VBED prior to arriving at the gate. His mistake likely saved numerous lives. After the VBED explosion, the insurgents peppered the outpost with IDF (Indirect Fire). 




Major Randall Moore, CRNA
1980th Forward Surgical Team
FOB Sharana, Afghanistan








No comments:

Post a Comment